Grendon-Underwood (St. Leonard)
GRENDON-UNDERWOOD (St. Leonard), a parish, in the union of Aylesbury, hundred of Ashendon, county of Buckingham, 10 miles (W. N. W.) from Aylesbury; containing 384 inhabitants. A portion of the female population is employed in the making of lace, which is carried on to a considerable extent. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £15. 6. 8.; net income, £269; patron, Grenville Pigott, Esq.: the tithes were commuted for land in 1769. The church contains handsome monuments to Lord and Lady Saye and Sele, and to the Pigott family. Lady Saye and Sele bequeathed property now producing £120 per annum, for apprenticing children; and £6. 10. per annum were bequeathed to the poor by Thomas Pigott, Esq.