GREASLEY, a parish, in the union of Basford, S. division of the wapentake of Broxtow, N. division of the county of Nottingham, 7 miles (N. W.) from Nottingham; containing, with the hamlets of Brinsley, Kimberley, Moorgreen, Newthorpe, Watnall-Cantelupe, and Watnall-Chaworth, 5184 inhabitants, many of whom are engaged in the stocking and lace manufactures. The parish is intersected in the south-west part by the Nottingham canal, on the banks of which are several coalwharfs. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8. 5.; net income, £134; patron and impropriator, Viscount Melbourne: the tithes were commuted for land in 1775. The church is a handsome edifice, with a lofty embattled tower. At Brinsley, a chapel has been lately built. There are some remains of an embattled mansion called Greysley Castle, northward of which are slight fragments of the Carthusian priory of Beauvale, founded in the reign of Edward III. by Nicholas de Cantelupe, and dedicated to the Holy Trinity, for a prior and twelve monks, which number was subsequently increased to nineteen, whose revenue at the Dissolution was estimated at £227. 8.