Grappenhall (St. Wilfrid)
GRAPPENHALL (St. Wilfrid), a parish, in the union of Warrington, hundred of Bucklow, N. division of the county of Chester; containing, with the chapelry of Latchford, 2948 inhabitants, of whom 587 are in the township of Grappenhall, 2¾ miles (S. E.) from Warrington. This parish is bounded on the north by the river Mersey. The township comprises 1548a. 2r. 31p., whereof about two-thirds are arable, and one-third pasture, with a very small portion of woodland; the soil is various, in some parts a stiff clay, and in others a light sandy loam, and the surface is generally level. There are three tan-yards, and the cotton manufacture is carried on at Latchford. The Duke of Bridgewater's and the Old Quay Company's canals pass through the parish. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £6. 11. 10½.; net income, £542; patron, Thomas Greenall, Esq. The church is an ancient structure, in the Norman and early English styles, with additions; it is a handsome erection of stone, and consists of a nave, chancel, aisles, and a tower. At Latchford is a district church. A school was built at the expense of the parish in 1712, and is endowed with land producing £10 per annum.