Granby (All Saints)
GRANBY (All Saints), a parish, in the union, and N. division of the wapentake, of Bingham, S. division of the county of Nottingham, 4 miles (S. E. by E.) from Bingham; containing 516 inhabitants. This parish, including the hamlet of Sutton, comprises about 2000 acres; the soil is generally a strong clay, and the surface is hilly in some parts, and in others flat. There are quarries of gypsum, of which plaster for flooring is made for the use of the district; also abundance of clay for bricks and tiles. The Grantham and Nottingham canal passes within a mile of the village. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6. 3. 6½.; net income, £123; patron and impropriator, the Duke of Rutland: the tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1793; the glebe comprises 75 acres. The church is an ancient structure of various periods, and contains some interesting details in the early and later English styles. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. Granby gives the title of Marquess to the Duke of Rutland.