Grainthorpe (St. Clement)
GRAINTHORPE (St. Clement), a parish, in the union of Louth, Marsh division of the hundred of Louth-Eske, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 8¼ miles (N. E. by N.) from Louth; containing, with the hamlets of Ludney and Wragholme, 556 inhabitants. The parish comprises 3961a. 2r. 35p.: the surface is flat, and the soil a rich strong clay; a large portion of the land was formerly a marshy waste, but it has been well drained and is under cultivation. The Louth canal passes along the western boundary of the parish, and joins the river Humber at Tetney Lock. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £115; patrons and impropriators, the President and Fellows of Magdalen College, Oxford. The church is a handsome structure in the later English style, with a lofty embattled tower, ornamented with eight pinnacles. There are places of worship for Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists. A school was founded by Mr. George Lill, who in 1818 endowed it with the interest of £500.