Grafton-Underwood (St. James)
GRAFTON-UNDERWOOD (St. James), a parish, in the union of Kettering, hundred of Huxloe, N. division of the county of Northampton, 4¾ miles (E. N. E.) from Kettering; containing 281 inhabitants. The parish is bounded on the west by the small river Ise, and comprises by estimation 1746a. 1r. 31p. The females are employed in making pillow-lace. There are some quarries of limestone, which is used for building and for repairing the roads. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £12. 16. 3., and in the patronage of the Fitzpatrick family; net income, £241. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1777; there are 10 acres of glebe, and a house.