Grafton-Regis (St. Mary)
GRAFTON-REGIS (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Potters-Pury, hundred of Cleley, S. division of the county of Northampton, 4¾ miles (E. S. E.) from Towcester; containing 266 inhabitants, and comprising 1351 acres. This place was erected into an honour in the 23rd of Henry VIII., with jurisdiction, confirmed by act of parliament, over an extensive tract partly in this county and partly in Buckinghamshire. Edward IV. was here privately married to Elizabeth, relict of Sir John Grey, of Groby, and daughter of Sir Richard Woodville, of whose family mansion at Grafton there are still remains: Lady Crane resided in it during the parliamentary war, when it was garrisoned for the king. The making of lace has been introduced of late years, and is carried on to some extent. The parish lies on the right bank of the river Tow; and the Grand Junction canal, and the Stony-Stratford and Northampton road, pass through it. The living is a discharged rectory, with that of Alderton annexed, valued in the king's books at £9. 9. 4½., and in the patronage of the Crown; net income, £277. Grafton gives the title of Duke to the Fitzroy family.