Grafton, East and West
GRAFTON, EAST and WEST, a tything, in the parish of Great Bedwin, union of Hungerford, hundred of Kinwardstone, Marlborough and Ramsbury, and N. divisions of Wilts, 7¾ miles (N.) from Ludgershall; containing 419 inhabitants. Here was anciently a chapel, dedicated to St. Nicholas; and a district church, to the same saint, was consecrated in April, 1844. It is a substantial edifice in the Norman style, of Bath stone, and was erected chiefly through the munificence of the Marquess of Ailesbury, who also largely contributed to the endowment fund. The living is in the gift of the Vicar.