Graffham (St. Giles)
GRAFFHAM (St. Giles), a parish, in the union of West Hampnett, hundred of Easebourne, rape of Chichester, W. division of Sussex, 4 miles (S. W.) from Petworth; containing 390 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the northern acclivity of the Downs, which are here beautifully ornamented with shrubs and underwood; the views over the Weald abound with variety. It comprises 1658a. 23p., of which 513 acres are arable, 470 meadow and pasture, 427 woodland, and 233 furze and open common. A pleasure-fair is held on the 16th of June. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £9. 10. 5., and in the patronage of Bishop Wilberforce: the tithes have been commuted for £183, and the glebe consists of 10 acres. The church, partly in the early and partly in the decorated English style, with a square embattled tower surmounted by a spire, was nearly rebuilt in 1838, at the expense of the Rev. H. E. Manning, the rector.