Grade (Holy Cross)
GRADE (Holy Cross), a parish, in the union of Helston, W. division of the hundred of Kerrier and of the county of Cornwall, 10 miles (S. S. E.) from Helston; containing 333 inhabitants. The parish is bounded on the east by Cadgith Cove, and the coast is defended by a lofty and interesting range of cliffs, rising in the form of an amphitheatre, to the height of 200 feet, and indented with some curious caverns. The number of acres is 1946, of which 246 are waste land or common: the soil is principally rock and clay marl; the surface is partly hilly and partly flat, the whole having a considerable elevation above the sea. Stone is found, chiefly of the serpentine formation, and susceptible of a high polish. The living is a rectory, with that of Ruan Minor, valued in the king's books at £11. 1. 5½., and in the gift of the Rev. Canon Rogers, and P. V. Robinson, Esq.: the tithes of Grade have been commuted for £295, and the glebe comprises four acres. The church contains some ancient monuments to the family of Erisey. About half a mile from it is a well, arched over, called St. Grade's Well.