Goxhill (All Saints)
GOXHILL (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Glandford-Brigg, N. division of the wapentake of Yarborough, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 3 miles (E. S. E.) from Barrow-on-Humber; containing 892 inhabitants, and comprising 6000 acres. This place was distinguished for a priory, founded by William de Alta Ripa, for Cistercian nuns, about the year 1185, and the remains of which, called the Chapel, form the kitchen, dairy, &c., of a farmhouse. A pleasure-fair is held in May. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £14. 18. 4., and in the patronage of the Crown, with a net income of £116: the tithes were commuted for land in 1773. The church is a large handsome structure, on an eminence. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. A fund of £12 per annum, arising from an allotment of land, is distributed among the necessitous poor.