Gothan (St. Lawrence)
GOTHAN (St. Lawrence), a parish, in the union of Basford, S. division of the wapentake of Rushcliffe and of the county of Nottingham, 7½ miles (S. S. W.) from Nottingham; containing 747 inhabitants. The parish comprises about 2200 acres: the surface is varied with hill and dale; the soil in the valleys is a rich loam, well adapted for wheat. Limestone is quarried in the hills; and alabaster is found in considerable quantity, and, when burnt and reduced to powder, is formed into excellent plaster for flooring. The village is bounded on the west by the lofty hills of the Wold, and on the east by an extensive tract of marsh land, which is subject to frequent inundation. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £19. 8. 6½., and in the gift of the Duke of Portland, Earl Howe, Lord St. John, and George Savile Foljambe, Esq., in rotation: the tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1804, when 427a. 3r. 11p. were allotted, in addition to 43 acres of Keyworth common allotted in the 38th of George III. The church has been repewed, and 477 free sittings provided. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans; and a national school, and an infants' school, have been each endowed with £30 per annum by Countess Howe.