Gosberton (St. Peter and St. Paul)
GOSBERTON (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the union of Spalding, wapentake of Kirton, parts of Holland, county of Lincoln, 6 miles (N. by W.) from Spalding; containing 2120 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage; net income, £130; patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Lincoln; impropriator, S. Everard, Esq.: the tithes were commuted for land and corn-rents in 1799. A chapel of ease has been built by subscription in a distant part of the parish, on a plot of ground given by Earl Brownlow, lord of the manor. A school, endowed with £18 a year, is conducted on the national plan. £130, the amount of various benefactions, are annually distributed in coal and bread to the poor; and the interest of £100 three per cents. left by Mrs. Banks, in 1835, is distributed in clothing to widows.