Gorran (St. Gorran)
GORRAN (St. Gorran), a parish, in the union of St. Austell, E. division of the hundred of Powder and of the county of Cornwall, 5¾ miles (E. S. E.) from Tregoney; containing 1232 inhabitants. This parish is bounded on the south-east by the English Channel, and comprises the small haven called Port East, where an extensive pilchard-fishery is carried on. It consists of 3836 acres, of which 158 are waste land or common: the surface is hilly, and from many points the views are extensive; the lands are chiefly arable. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £20; net income, £258; patron and appropriator, the Bishop of Exeter. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. In the centre of the village are considerable remains of an ancient chapel with a tower: on the high grounds above Dodman's Point are remains of a circular intrenchment; and in a field on the estate of Trevennen, called Chapel Close, was formerly a chapel.