GORNALL, UPPER, an ecclesiastical district, in the parish of Sedgley, union of Dudley, N. division of the hundred of Seisdon, S. division of the county of Stafford, 2 miles (N. W.) from Dudley; containing 2775 inhabitants. This place is remarkable for the extent of its stone-quarries, and for its fine brick-clay. As in Lower Gornall, the manufacture of chains and nails is carried on here extensively. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, was consecrated in July, 1843, and is a plain structure in the later English style, with turrets, built at a cost of £2389, raised by subscription, and a grant from the Incorporated Society: of 921 sittings, 645 are free. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Vicar of Sedgley; net income, £150, with a parsonage-house. The Independents, Primitive Methodists, and Wesleyans have places of worship. In connexion with the church is a national school.