Goring (St. Mary)
GORING (St. Mary), a parish, in the hundred of Poling, rape of Arundel, W. division of Sussex, 2½ miles (W.) from Worthing; containing 503 inhabitants. This place at the time of the Domesday survey belonged, as part of the earldom of Arundel, to the Albini family. The parish comprises about 2000 acres, of which the far greater portion is good arable land, about 400 acres pasture and down, and 180 wood. Here is a station of the Brighton and Chichester railway, about midway between those towns. Goring Castle is a handsome mansion, containing many stately apartments, and pleasingly situated in a richly-wooded demesne. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £7. 10., and in the gift of David Lyon, Esq.; impropriator, W. W. Richardson, Esq., lord of the manor. The vicarial tithes have been commuted for £163, and the glebe comprises 6½ acres; the impropriate tithes have been commuted for £376. The church, an ancient structure in the early English style, with several Norman details, and containing numerous monuments, was taken down, and rebuilt on the old site, in 1837, at an expense of £6000, defrayed by Mr. Lyon; the present structure is in the later English style, with a square embattled tower, surmounted by a lofty spire of wood covered with copper, painted to resemble stone.