Goodnestone (Holy Cross)
GOODNESTONE (Holy Cross), a parish, in the union of Eastry, hundred of Wingham, lathe of St. Augustine, E. division of Kent, 2½ miles (S. E.) from Wingham; containing 424 inhabitants. It comprises 1864 acres. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £200; patron and impropriator, Sir B. W. Bridges, Bart. The church, principally in the early English style, and partly erected by the ancestors of Sir John Boys, the gallant defender of Donnington Castle, who died in 1664, and was buried here, has, with the exception of the tower, been rebuilt under the superintendence of Rickman and Company, of Birmingham, architects, the original character being carefully preserved; the tower is a very handsome structure, and the whole forms an interesting specimen of its style. Almshouses for four persons were endowed by Gabriel Richards in 1671. A fair for pedlery is held on the anniversary of the Holy Cross.