Goodleigh (St. Gregory)
GOODLEIGH (St. Gregory), a parish, in the union of Barnstaple, hundred of Braunton, Braunton and N. divisions of Devon, 2¾ miles (E. by N.) from Barnstaple; containing 335 inhabitants. It is situated on the river Yeo, and comprises about 1000 acres, of which 100 are common: stone of a soft texture is found, but not applied to any useful purpose. There are several cherry-orchards, the soil being peculiarly favourable for cherries. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £14. 19. 4½.; patron and incumbent, the Rev. John Harding, whose tithes have been commuted for £190, and whose glebe comprises 35 acres. The church, an ancient structure in the early English style, contains two monuments to the Acland family. Here is a place of worship for Independents.