GOMERSAL, a township, in the parish of Birstal, union of Dewsbury, wapentake of Morley, W. riding of York, 7 miles (S. W.) from Leeds; containing 8030 inhabitants. This township, which includes the hamlets of Spen, Great and Little Gomersal, Birstal, and Birkenshaw, lies on the roads from Leeds to Huddersfield and Halifax, and comprises 3200a. 33p.; the soil is fertile, and the substratum abounds with coal, of which there are several extensive mines in operation. The surface is varied, and the scenery of pleasing character. The population is chiefly employed in the manufacture of woollen-cloth, blankets, and worsted pieces; and a considerable number in the spinning of worstedyarn. The parish church of Birstal is situated in the township; and a church has been also erected at Birkenshaw, which is noticed under that head. A church district named Gomersal was endowed in 1846 by the Ecclesiastical Commission: the extent is about 900 acres, embracing a population of 3000; and the living is in the gift of the Crown and the Bishop of Ripon, alternately. There are places of worship for Independents, Moravians, and Wesleyans.