GOLBORNE, a township, in the parish of Lowton, union of Leigh, hundred of West Derby, S. division of Lancashire, 2 miles (N. N. E.) from Newton-inMakerfield; containing 1657 inhabitants. A family of the local name possessed lands here in the reign of Henry III., and subsequently the manor was held by various families, among whom were the Fleetwoods and Leghs: Thomas Legh, Esq., is now the principal landowner. The township comprises 1570 acres, of which 325 are arable, and nearly all the remainder pasture; the surface is gently undulated, and the soil half clay and half clay-loam. Coal exists; and there is a large and a smaller cotton-mill, affording employment to many of the population. Golborne Hall is occupied by Nathan Newbould, Esq. By a private act passed in 1845 to amend a private act in 1841, it is provided that if a church be built in Golborne, the place is to become a separate parish and rectory. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £158, payable to the rector of Winwick. The Independents have a place of worship. A school, with a house for the master, was built in 1791, by William Street and others, who endowed it with the interest of £120, for which six children of the township are taught.See Lowton.