Godshill (All Saints)
GODSHILL (All Saints), a parish, in the liberty of East Medina, Isle of Wight division of the county of Southampton, 5½ miles (S. S. E.) from Newport; containing 1435 inhabitants. The village is one of the neatest in the island, and is surrounded with interesting scenery. About a mile to the south-east is Appuldurcombe, the splendid seat of the Earl of Yarborough, situated in an extensive park, encircled by hills of varied beauty, and very near the site of a priory founded in the reign of Henry III., as a cell to the abbey of Montsburgh, in Normandy. It is an elegant structure of freestone, with four fronts of the Corinthian order, containing many superb apartments, begun by Sir Robert Worsley, and completed by his descendant, Sir Richard; in the hall are some beautiful Ionic columns of porphyry, and a good collection of ancient sculptures and paintings. The hill at the entrance to the park is richly clothed with wood, and embellished with an artificial ruin called Cook's Castle; and on the summit of the principal eminence within the grounds is an obelisk of Cornish granite, nearly 70 feet high, to the memory of Sir Robert Worsley. The living is a discharged vicarage, annexed, with the chapelry of Whitwell, to the rectory of Niton, and valued in the king's books at £37. 17. 6. The church, an ancient cruciform structure, contains some handsome and interesting monuments to the families of Leigh and Worsley. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. A free school, now held in a building erected by Lord Yarborough in 1804, was founded in 1593 by Philip Andrews and others, who endowed it with an annuity of £5, afterwards augmented by the Worsley family. There is also a school conducted on the national system, which has an endowment of £10 per annum.