GODLEY, a township, in the parish of Mottramin-Longdendale, union of Ashton-under-Lyne, hundred of Macclesfield, N. division of the county of Chester, 8 miles (E. by S.) from Manchester; containing 1399 inhabitants. Godley is a corruption of Godelegh, the name of the possessors of the place in the reign of John: the manor was afterwards held by the Baguleys, who purchased of the Godleys in 1319, and by the Massey and Newton families successively. The township comprises 604 acres, the soil of which is clay: the manufacture of cotton is carried on, as is also that of hats. This place, and part of Newton, likewise in the parish, were formed into a church district, in 1847, under the provisions of the 6th and 7th Victoria, cap. 37: the living is in the gift of the Crown and the Bishop of Chester, alternately.