Goadby-Marwood (St. Denis)
GOADBY-MARWOOD (St. Denis), a parish, in the union of Melton-Mowbray, hundred of Framland, N. division of the county of Leicester, 5 miles (N. by E.) from Melton-Mowbray; containing 202 inhabitants. It comprises 1669a. 1r. 10p.; the surface, though generally flat, rises towards the south into a ridge of considerable elevation. The greater portion of the land is a good red soil, and the remainder a strong clay; there are pits of excellent marl, and some quarries of brown stone which is used for building. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £16; patron and incumbent, the Rev. Edward Manners, who is also lord of the manor, and whose seat, Goadby Hall, is in the parish: the tithes have been commuted for £420. 7. 6., and the glebe comprises 34 acres. The church, which is partly in the decorated English style, contains, among several interesting monuments, a flat stone with an inscription in Latin to the memory of the celebrated antiquary, the Rev. Francis Peck, rector, who died in 1743, and was buried here. The sum of £24, arising from land given to the poor, is annually distributed among them. Many vases and Roman coins have been discovered at various times in the park; and in a field called the Dane Field from its having been the scene of a battle with the Danes, and in the neighbourhood, human bones are frequently found in great profusion, sometimes within ten inches of the surface.