Glentham (St. Peter)
GLENTHAM (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Caistor, E. division of the wapentake of Aslacoe, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 8 miles (W. by N.) from Market-Rasen; containing, with the hamlet of Bishop-Bridge, 477 inhabitants. This place is bounded on the east by the river Ancholme, which falls into the Humber at Ferriby Sluice. The parish comprises 2642a. 3r.: there are quarries of stone of moderate quality, for the roads. Vessels sail from Bishop-Bridge, down the Ancholme, to Hull and other parts of Yorkshire. Fairs for horned-cattle, sheep, and pigs, are held on the 25th of November. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8; net income, £90; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Lincoln: the tithes were commuted for land in 1763, when 312 acres were allotted to the appropriators, and 70 to the vicar. The church is a handsome structure, in the later English style, with a tower and chancel of more recent date. Here is a place of worship for Wesleyans; also an endowed almshouse.