Glenfield (St. Peter)
GLENFIELD (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Blaby, hundred of Sparkenhoe, S. division of the county of Leicester, 3½ miles (W. N. W.) from Leicester; containing, with the chapelries of Braunstone and Kirby-Muxloe, 1032 inhabitants. It comprises by computation 4000 acres. The soil is partly a strong heavy clay, and partly gravelly; the surface is diversified with hills, and the lower grounds are watered by the Glenfield brook. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £13. 9. 9½.; net income, £818; patron, C. Winstanley, Esq.: the tithes were commuted for land, under an act of inclosure, in the 49th of George III. The church is an ancient structure. There are chapels of ease at Braunstone and Kirby-Muxloe, and a place of worship for Wesleyans.