Glatton (St. Nicholas)
GLATTON (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Peterborough, hundred of Norman-Cross, county of Huntingdon, 2¼ miles (S. S. W.) from Stilton; containing, with the chapelry of Holme, 715 inhabitants. It is situated on the great north road, and comprises by admeasurement 2070 acres, of which two-thirds are arable, and the remainder pasture; the soil is a stiff clay. The surface is rather flat; the prevailing timber is elm, with an intermixture of oak and ash in some parts, and the scenery is generally of pleasing character. The living is a rectory, with the perpetual curacy of Holme annexed, valued in the king's books at £21. 8. 11½.; net income, £546; patron, T. M. Wingfield, Esq. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1800; the land comprises 473 acres. There is an endowment of £15 per annum, arising from land for teaching children.