GLASSONBY, a township, in the parish of Addingham, union of Penrith, Leath ward, E. division of Cumberland, 8 miles (N. E. by N.) from Penrith; containing 165 inhabitants. It comprises 2245 acres, of which 900 are common. The village is situated on an eminence, about a mile north of the parish church. At the hamlet of Maughamby, in the township, is a free school, founded in 1634 by the Rev. Edward Mayplett, who endowed it with 72 acres of land.