GLASSON, a village and port, in the township of Thurnham, parish and union of Lancaster, hundred of Lonsdale south of the Sands, N. division of Lancashire, 5 miles (S. S. W.) from Lancaster. This place is situated at the mouth of the river Lune, and is the modern harbour to Lancaster, and a custom-house station of that port, with an establishment of officers for the collection of the duties. Here is a spacious dock, constructed about 1785, capable of receiving merchantmen of considerable burthen, with extensive quays for loading and unloading. About forty vessels can discharge their cargoes in the dock at one time, and the basin above the dock can accommodate a much greater number; vessels of between 300 and 500 tons may enter the outer port. The goods are forwarded to Lancaster by a canal which joins the Preston and Lancaster canal, three miles distant. A church was built in 1844: the living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of Trustees, with a net income of £90, and a house. A school is supported by subscription.