GLAISDALE, a chapelry, in the parish of Danby, union of Whitby, E. division of the liberty of Langbaurgh, N. riding of York, 10 miles (W. S. W.) from Whitby; containing 1021 inhabitants. It was the property of Robert de Brus, lord of Skelton, and, with the rest of the parish of Danby, descended to the Thwengs, and afterwards to the Latimers, lords of Danby; it is now divided into many freeholds. The vale is watered by the river Esk, and is remarkable for its fertility, but is surrounded by sterile hills, whose naked summits contrast strikingly with the rich pastures and corn-fields of the well-wooded tract beneath. The parish comprises by computation 8370 acres; and includes the hamlets of Stonegate and Lealholm-Bridge, the latter situated on the Esk. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Archbishop of York, with a net income of £120: the church was built in 1793, upon the site of a more ancient edifice, consecrated in 1388. At Glaisdale and Lealholm-Bridge are places of worship for Wesleyans.