Givendale, or Gwendale, Great
GIVENDALE, or GWENDALE, GREAT, a parish, in the union of Pocklington, Wilton-Beacon division of the wapentake of Harthill, E. riding of York; containing 85 inhabitants, of whom 70 are in the township of Great Givendale, 3½ miles (N. by E.) from Pocklington. The parish comprises by measurement 1227 acres, of which 500 are in the township of Grimthorpe; of the rest, 337 are arable, 290 pasture, and 100 woodland, nearly the whole the property of John Singleton, Esq., of Givendale House. The country is very fine, commanding extensive views of the vale of York. The living is a discharged vicarage, with that of Millington annexed, in the patronage of the Dean of York, and valued in the king's books at £4. 18. 4.; net income, £219. The impropriate tithes of the township of Great Givendale have been commuted for £50, and the vicarial for £20: the vicar has a glebe of 7 acres. The church is an ancient edifice with a campanile turret.