Gissing (St. Mary)
GISSING (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Depwade, hundred of Diss, E. division of Norfolk, 4½ miles (E. N. E.) from Diss; containing 498 inhabitants. It comprises 1974a. 10p., of which 1399 acres are arable, 475 pasture and meadow, 34 wood, 51 common and waste, and 16 acres roads. A pleasure-fair is held on the 25th of July. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £14. 16. 5½., and in the gift of the Rev. Sir W. R. Kemp, Bart.: the tithes have been commuted for £487, and the glebe comprises 44 acres. The church is an ancient structure in the Norman style, with a round tower, from which, opening into the nave, is a beautiful Norman arch. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.