GILSLAND, a watering-place, in the parish of Lanercost-Abbey, Eskdale ward, E. division of Cumberland, 7 miles (E. N. E.) from Brampton. This place, which forms part of the township of Waterhead, is beautifully situated in the vale of Irthing, and has risen into some eminence from the efficacy of its sulphuretted and chalybeate spas, the former of which has been in high repute for more than a century; the latter was discovered about the year 1812. The scenery is romantic, abounding with interesting features: the river Irthing affords excellent trout-fishing, and the walks have been greatly improved by the proprietor. Two hotels have been opened for the reception of families frequenting the spas, and some neat cottages contain comfortable lodgings for persons of limited means. Numerous remains of Roman and Saxon architecture exist in the neighbourhood.