GILLINGHAM, comprising the united parishes of All Saints and St. Mary, in the union of Loddon and Clavering, hundred of Clavering, E. division of Norfolk, 1¼ mile (N. by W.) from Beccles; containing 404 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from Beccles to Norwich and Yarmouth, and is bounded on the south by the navigable river Waveney, which separates it from the county of Suffolk. The livings are discharged rectories united, valued in the king's books at £10. 6. 8., and in the gift of Lord G. Beresford: the tithes have been commuted for £462. 10., and the glebe comprises 60 acres, with a house. The church dedicated to St. Mary is principally of Norman architecture, with a tower rising from the centre; the west and north entrances are under beautifully enriched Norman arches, and the chancel contains a handsome monument to Sir Nicholas Bains, Bart. The church of All Saints was demolished in 1748, but the ruined tower still remains, and, being overgrown with ivy, presents a venerable and interesting appearance. There are lands producing £50 per annum, for parochial uses.