GILDERSOME, an ecclesiastical district, in the parish of Batley, wapentake of Morley, W. riding of York, 4½ miles (S. W. by W.) from Leeds; containing 1917 inhabitants. This district comprises by admeasurement 973 acres, about one-fifth of which is arable, 12 acres woodland, and the rest meadow and pasture; the substratum abounds with coal, some of which is gaseous. The inhabitants are employed in the woollen manufacture, originally introduced by some Flemings from Guelderland (whence the name of the village), who settled here in 1571; there is also a flax-mill. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £120; patron, the Vicar of Batley: a glebe-house is attached to the benefice. The church, erected in 1774, was restored in 1839, and a gallery added, by which 150 free sittings were gained. There are places of worship for the Society of Friends, Baptists, and Wesleyans.