Gidding, Steeple (St. Andrew)
GIDDING, STEEPLE (St. Andrew), a parish, in the hundred of Leightonstone, union and county of Huntingdon, 6 miles (S. W. by S.) from Stilton; containing 110 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 1091 acres, the soil of which is clay and loam, with some veins of rather coarse gravel. Here was a large mansion, the residence of the Cotton family; the avenue to it still remains, and some of the existing cottages are built of the materials which formed the stables. The village is about three miles and a half from the old north road which runs through Biggleswade. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £8. 17. 8½., and in the patronage of J. M. Heathcote, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £175, and the glebe comprises 5 acres. The church is an ancient structure in the early English style; a portion of it was probably built in the reign of Edward IV. A school in union with the National Society is supported by the rector.