GEORGE, ST., a parish, in the union of Clifton, hundred of Barton Regis, W. division of the county of Gloucester, 2 miles (E.) from Bristol; containing 8318 inhabitants. This place, which is bounded on the south by the Avon, was constituted a distinct parish by act of parliament in the 24th of George II., having been previously part of the out-parish of St. Philip and St. Jacob, Bristol. Many coal-pits are worked. The living is a vicarage not in charge, in the patronage of the Rev. G. Salt; net income, £530; impropriator, W. Blathwayte, Esq. The church was consecrated in 1756. A church district called Two-Mile Hill, was endowed in 1845 by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners: the living is in the gift of the Crown and the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol, alternately. Anciently there was an hospital for lepers, dedicated to St. Lawrence.