Gedney (St. Mary Magdalene)
GEDNEY (St. Mary Magdalene), a parish, in the union of Holbeach, wapentake of Elloe, parts of Holland, county of Lincoln, 11 miles (N. W.) from Wisbech; containing 1797 inhabitants. The parish comprises about 11,000 acres, of which two-thirds are arable, and the remainder, with the exception of a few acres of wood, is pasture; the soil is a deep loam, in some parts mixed with fine sand, and in others with blue and yellow clays. In 1834 an act was passed for embanking, draining, and improving the lands. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £30. 11. 10½., and in the gift of the Crown; impropriator, the Rev. C. Strong. There is also a sinecure rectory, valued at £23. 11. 0½., and in the same patronage. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £545, the rectorial for £1135. 10., and the vicarial for £991. 18.; the rectorial glebe comprises 106 acres, and the vicarial 19 acres. The church is a beautiful structure, supposed to have been built by the abbots of Crowland, who had large possessions in the parish; it contains 53 windows, those of the north aisle having considerable remains of painted glass. The rents of land, amounting to £83. 10., are annually divided among the poor. Here are vestiges of intrenchments, probably the site of Roman fortifications.