Geddington (St. Mary Magdalene)
GEDDINGTON (St. Mary Magdalene), a parish, in the union of Kettering, hundred of Corby, N. division of the county of Northampton, 3 miles (N. E. by N.) from Kettering; containing 833 inhabitants. This place was of some importance at a very early period, and had a royal seat, called the Castle or Hall Close, immediately adjoining the north side of the churchyard, where Henry II., in 1188, held a parliament, to raise money for a crusade. The parish is situated on the river Ise, and comprises 2222a. 36p., of which about 450 acres are woodland, and the remainder arable and pasture: stone of good quality for building and for the roads, and limestone for manure, are quarried to a considerable extent. The road from Kettering to Stamford passes through the village, which is adorned with one of the most perfect of the numerous crosses erected by Edward I. in memory of his queen, Eleanor: this cross has never been repaired.
The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5. 11. 0½., and held with Newton, a donative; net income together, about £190; patron and impropriator, the Duke of Buccleuch. The tithes were commuted for land in 1807, when 85 acres were allotted to the vicarage. The church is an ancient structure, consisting of a nave, two aisles (the northern one late Norman, the southern early English), and a chancel, which is of equal length with the nave, and is enriched with a singularly beautiful window, and stone reredos. The tower and spire are of the perpendicular style, and are extremely graceful and well proportioned; the spire is octagonal, with three stages of lights, the lower ones being double. Three sedilia, with a piscina, are in tolerable preservation; and in the chancel are memorials of the Tresham family, some members of which were engaged in the Gunpowder plot. A parochial school is supported by the Duke of Buccleuch. Sir Robert Dallington, Knt., gave £300 to be invested in land, which now produces a rent of £90; and Mr. S. Lee, ranger of Geddington chase, gave £100, also invested in land, yielding £25 per annum: the amounts are divided among the poor. Coeval with the foundation of the church, about 1100, appears to have been a priory, now totally destroyed; the gateway, the last relic of it, was standing about 35 years ago, when it was pulled down by Mr. Brooksbank, the then owner of the property.