Gaywood (St. Faith)
GAYWOOD (St. Faith), a parish, in the union and hundred of Freebridge-Lynn, W. division of Norfolk, ¾ of a mile (E. by N.) from Lynn; containing 1064 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the river Gaywood, comprises 2321a. 35p., whereof 815 acres are arable, 1146 pasture, 133 woodland, and 207 fen and marsh; the surface is generally flat, and the soil light and gravelly. Gaywood Hall, the seat of Richard Bagge, Esq., occupies the site of a palace erected by John Grey, Bishop of Norwich; and part of the moat by which the old building was surrounded is still remaining. The village forms a suburb to Lynn; and about a mile to the north of it, is Reffly chalybeate spring, which is much resorted to by the inhabitants, being beautifully situated in a rural spot: on the opposite side of the valley is Gaywood spring. Fairs for stock are held June 22nd, and for horses October 17th. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £5. 13. 4., and in the gift of Mr. Bagge: the tithes have been commuted for £630, and the glebe comprises 18½ acres. The church is a cruciform structure, with a tower of brick, in which is an ancient and highly-enriched Norman doorway: in the tower, also, are two ancient paintings, one of Queen Elizabeth's visit to Tilbury Fort, and the other of the trial of Guy Fawkes. The parsonage-house, a handsome edifice, was built by the Rev. E. L. Hulton, LL.D. On the inclosure of the parish, in the year 1810, 25 acres of land were allotted to the poor.