Gayton-Le-Marsh (St. George)
GAYTON-LE-MARSH (St. George), a parish, in the union of Louth, Marsh division of the hundred of Calceworth, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 5¾ miles (N. by W.) from Alford; containing 312 inhabitants, and comprising 2172a. 2r. 33p. This place is of great antiquity, and had a church prior to the time of the Conquest. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £13. 10. 2½., and in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes have been commuted for £457. 10., and the glebe comprises 72a. 3r. 9p., with a commodious parsonage-house, surrounded by plantations, and lately erected by the Rev. W. B. Harrison, the rector. The church was an elegant structure, of which only the tower is remaining, a handsome specimen of the early English style; the nave and chancel have been rebuilt without regard to uniformity of character. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. At the inclosure in 1706, thirty acres of land were allotted to the poor, and eight acres for the repairs of the church. There are two chalybeate springs.