Gayton (St. Nicholas)
GAYTON (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union and hundred of Freebridge-Lynn, W. division of Norfolk, 7 miles (E.) from Lynn; containing 789 inhabitants. It comprises 3275a. 3r. 5p., of which 2386 acres are arable, 474 pasture and meadow, 213 heath, and 66 woodland. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8. 6. 8.; patron, the Bishop of Norwich; appropriator, the Bishop of Ely. The great tithes have been commuted for £500, and the vicarial for £318. 4.; the glebe contains 24 acres. The church is in the early and decorated styles; on the south side of the chancel are three stone stalls and a piscina. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. At the inclosure, in 1811, 30 acres were allotted to the poor, the rent of which is distributed in fuel. The union workhouse is situated in the parish. William de Scohies founded a Benedictine priory here in the reign of William the Conqueror.