GATTON, a parish, and formerly a borough, in the union, and Second division of the hundred of Reigate, E. division of Surrey, 22 miles (E. by N.) from Guildford, and 18 (S. by W.) from London; containing 219 inhabitants. This was once a considerable town, and had a castle. It sent two members to parliament from the 29th of Henry VI. to the second of William IV., when it was disfranchised; the right of election was vested in the freeholders and inhabitants paying scot and lot, and the constable for the manor was returning officer. The parish comprises 1260a. 2r. 21p., of which 571 acres are arable, 452 pasture, and 158 woodland. The river Mole has its source in the parish; and here is a quarry of white stone which will bear exposure to a high degree of heat, and is therefore much used in the construction of ovens, furnaces for glass-houses, &c. The London and Brighton railway runs within a mile to the south-east of the church. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £9. 2. 8½., and in the gift of Lord Monson: the tithes have been commuted for £226, and the glebe comprises nearly 12 acres. The church, picturesquely situated near the mansion of Gatton, was in 1834 nearly rebuilt, and fitted up in a splendid style with finely carved oak brought from a convent in the Netherlands, at the cost of the late accomplished Lord Monson; the windows, also, were embellished with ancient stained glass, at a very great expense.