Garthorpe (St. Mary)
GARTHORPE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Melton-Mowbray, hundred of Framland, N. division of the county of Leicester, 5¾ miles (E. N. E.) from Melton-Mowbray; containing 135 inhabitants. This parish, which is watered by the small river Eye, comprises by measurement 1725 acres. The surface is uneven, but the hills are of very inconsiderable elevation; the soil is various, with some good corn and grazing lands. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £7. 5. 2., and in the gift of the Tollemache family: the impropriate tithes have been commuted for £230, and the vicarial for £150.