Garforth, West (St. Mary)
GARFORTH, WEST (St. Mary), a parish, in the Lower division of the wapentake of Skvrack, W. riding of the county of York, 7 miles (E.) from Leeds; containing, with part of the township of Austhorpe, 1220 inhabitants. The parish includes the villages of East, West, Church, and Moor Garforth, and comprises by computation 1700 acres, the substratum of which is chiefly coal; the soil is partly clay, the scenery is pleasing, and a beautiful and commanding view is obtained from an elevated range of ground called the "Cliffs." Coal-mines are in operation, and there are limestonequarries. The Aberford and Wakefield road, and the Leeds and Selby railway, run through the parish. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £8. 17. 8½., and in the patronage of the Rev. G. H. Whitaker: the tithes have been commuted for £420, and the glebe comprises 55 acres, with a house. A new church, a neat unpretending edifice in the early English style, of cruciform design, with a spire at the intersection, was consecrated in November 1845. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. A parochial school was built by subscription, in 1737, and endowed with land by Sir Edward Gascoigne: it was rebuilt in 1818. A Roman road passes through the parish. Some very rare fossils are found in the Cliffs.