Garboldisham (St. John the Baptist)
GARBOLDISHAM (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union and hundred of Guilt-Cross, W. division of Norfolk, 4¼ miles (S. S. E.) from East Harling; containing 777 inhabitants. The parish is bounded on the south by the river Ouse, which separates it from the county of Suffolk; and comprises 2735 acres. An act was obtained in 1840, for inclosing lands. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £19. 16. 0½., and in the gift of C. M. Montgomerie, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £590, and the glebe comprises 50 acres. The church is a handsome structure in the later English style, with an embattled tower, and a north porch of elegant design. There is a place of worship for Primitive Methodists. Part of the tower of the ancient church of the merged parish of All Saints is remaining.