Ganton (St. Nicholas)
GANTON (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Scarborough, wapentake of Dickering, E. riding of York, 14 miles (E. N. E.) from Malton; containing, with the township of Potter-Brompton, 428 inhabitants. The parish comprises by computation 4000 acres, of which 700 are pasture and meadow, 270 woodland, and the remainder arable. Ganton Hall, a neat mansion encompassed by fine grounds, has long been the seat of the ancient family of Legard, of whom John Legard, for his loyalty to Charles II., was created a baronet at the Restoration. The living is a perpetual curacy, valued in the king's books at £5. 2. 6., and in the patronage of Sir Thomas Digby Legard, Bart., with a net income of £150: the tithes were commuted for land in 1803. The church is a large and handsome structure of the 14th century, and has an embattled tower at the west end, surmounted by a commanding spire; in the interior are several memorials of the Legard family.