Gamston (St. Peter)
GAMSTON (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of East Retford, South-Clay division of the wapentake of Bassetlaw, N. division of the county of Nottingham, 3½ miles (S.) from East Retford; containing 331 inhabitants. It comprises 1100 acres, part of which is very rich land: the village contains some good houses, and is pleasantly situated on the east bank of the river Idle. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £11. 16. 5½., and in the gift of the Crown, with a net income of £248: the tithes were commuted for land in 1808. The church is a handsome structure in the later English style, with a lofty embattled tower. There is a place of worship for Baptists.