Gamlingay (St. Mary)
GAMLINGAY, (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Caxton and Arrington, hundred of Longstow, county of Cambridge, 2¼ miles (N. E. by N.) from Potton; containing, with the hamlet of Woodberry, 1434 inhabitants. A market was held, but it has for many years been discontinued. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5; net income, £188; patron and appropriator, the Bishop of Ely. There is also a sinecure rectory, valued at £15. 14. 2.; net income, £256; patrons, the Warden and Fellows of Merton College, Oxford. A glebe of 3½ acres, with a house in good repair, belongs to the vicarage. The church is a handsome edifice. There are places of worship for Baptists and Methodists; also almshouses for ten widows, endowed in 1753 with a bequest of £2000 old South Sea annuities by Mrs. Elizabeth Lane. An inclosure act was passed in 1841.