Gaddesden, Great (St. John the Baptist)
GADDESDEN, GREAT (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Hemel-Hempstead, hundred of Dacorum, county of Hertford, 2½ miles (N. W. by N.) from Hemel-Hempstead; containing 1109 inhabitants. This parish, which takes its name from the river Gad, comprises 4074 acres, whereof 69 are waste land or common; the surface is hilly, and the soil clay, alternated with flint. The village is on the south-west bank of the river. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £10. 1. 10., and in the patronage of Mrs. Halsey; impropriator, the Rev. J. F. Halsey: the great tithes have been commuted for £750, and the vicarial for £260.