Fylingdales (St. Stephen)
FYLINGDALES (St. Stephen), a parish, in the union of Whitby, liberty of Whitby-Strand, N. riding of York, 4½ miles (S. E. by S.) from Whitby; containing 1611 inhabitants. This parish takes its name from two beautiful vales, called respectively North and South Fyling dales, and intersecting the moorlands, of which the remainder of the parish principally consists. The river Derwent has its source in several springs that rise in the moors. The rocks upon the sea-coast abound with ironstone; and mines have been opened, from which materials are extracted for the making of Roman cement. The South dale contains alum, of which extensive works have been established; those called the Stoupe Brow have been discontinued, but those in the further extremity of the dale are still in operation. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £120; patron and appropriator, the Archbishop of York. The church was repaired and enlarged some years since.